Subject: [Info-WASD] Server Admin Activity Report
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2025 14:11:41 +0930

The WASD Activity Report provides a ready snapshot of request and network
traffic for a simply selected period from [1][2][4]..[24][72]..[672] hours,
seen in the Other Reports section of the Server Admin page.

  https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/admin.png

During processing the server accumulates various data in a permanent global
common as per-minute totals.  As permanent data it survives all but system
shutdown and so allows an overview of server activity for up to 28 days,
including startup, shutdown and other events.

The Activity Report refreshes the page every 60 seconds (when focused).
In common with many other Server Admin reports, a "Refresh: [..] Seconds"
dialogue allows a more granular update.

Rather than attached images, live꙳꙳ data is available courtesy DECUServe

  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity?of=2

with callouts to the main items as follow...

Page Header
~~~~~~~~~~~
The resolved name of the service and the date-time the report was generated.

Activity Graph
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An SVG graph with multiple data presented on combined axes.

Time is represented on the X axis; from left, least to most recent.
The left Y axis shows the per-minute total request count.
The right Y axis the data transferred per-minute as bytes (usually M or k).

Various regions of the graph may be clicked on to change the period
displayed, indicated by a hovering tooltip.

[+] and [-] buttons below the graph allow for different sized graphs.

Period
~~~~~~
The time span of the report, as date-time to (date-)time, and in whole hours.
Also noted at each end of the graph immediately below the time axis.  Longer
periods, where graph real-estate constrains granularity, have peaks selected
and totals accumulated across multiple minutes in the data.

Connections
~~~~~~~~~~~
The peak number of connections during that period.

A dark-blue horizontal dash adjacent to the maximum request line at the value
of the peak connections during that minute.  This can be seen forming a faint
trace through the live data and more clearly in [+] graphs.

Requests
~~~~~~~~
Total requests, maximum per-minute, peak per-minute individual requests.

These are recorded on the activity graph as dark-blue vertical lines, the
apex of which corresponds to the maximum for that minute.

The graph also records the peak requests-in-progress in white, seen in as a
horizontal line near the lower axis and again more clearly in a [+] graph.

A red line meanders across the graph indicating the cumulative mean of the
peak requests.

On occasion a peak will result in a very compressed rest of the display and
often obscuring useful detail.  The query string of the page can have a
slash-delimited value appended꙳꙳꙳, or modified if already present, to a
lesser value.  For example, a graph with a single peak of 800 can have "/100"
to make the Y axis a maximum of 100.

  ꙳꙳꙳ A bug in v12.3 and earlier was uncovered in preparing this
      article; fixed and available in subsequent versions.

Bytes
~~~~~
Total and maximum traffic in bytes for the period, with the maximum
per-minute traffic recorded as a cyan line the apex of which represents that
maximum.  Considerable variability in traffic maxima commonly will be seen.

A more difficult to see magenta line across the graph shows the cumulative
mean per-minute traffic.  More clearly shown in [+] graphs.

Available From
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes the data-time from which Activity Report data is available.  A maximum
of 28 days activity data is collected.

Events Recorded
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As vertical lines: Startup ..... green
                   Shutdown .... black
                   Restart ..... grey
                   Error Exit .. red

More Live꙳꙳ Data
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, courtesy DECUServe ...

  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity
  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity?of=24
  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity?of=72
  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity?of=168
  https://decuserve.org/httpd/-/admin/report/activity?of=672

  ꙳꙳ Of course with live data the display will vary
     considerably depending on exactly when accessed

     Should live data not be available the following image
      can be used to illustrate the items described above
     https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/activity.png

References
~~~~~~~~~~
  https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/#serveradministration
  https://wasd.vsm.com.au/wasd_root/wasdoc/features/#httpdserverreports

This item is one of a collection at
https://wasd.vsm.com.au/other/#occasional